Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 10- Reading Response

The topic of today’s class was women and the nation. The reading wanted us to look at how women are being treated, or this case abused in other countries. The reading also connected the ideas of “good” moms and “bad” moms and how those ideas can be related to our won country.

The movie we watched, "Señorita Extraviada" and one of the articles we read, “Las Super Madres de Latino America” go hand in hand with each other. The two focus on the huge problem of women going missing in Mexico and in other Latin America countries. The whole thing was really a wake up call to me. I was born in southern California and have lived in Cali for half my life and so I have always been informed about what is going on along the border area and in Mexico, but I didn’t realize how wide spread it had gotten or how many women had been abused. It was really shocking to me also that the police have not done really anything to help the women. Even more shocking was in the video when the woman talked about how the police not only knew what was going on and had even played a role in it. They had violated her and forced her to look at pictures of other women. However, I thought that it was really great how so many of the mothers have taken a stand against the violence that is going on and have really pushed for what has been going on to be recognized. They are considered to be the “good” and “bad” mothers and I think that what they are doing is really important.

The other article, Camp Casey, I thought was a really good tie in. It combined what has been going on with the good and bad mother in Middle America to the States. I think that what more mothers need to stand up and demand that the government not brush the youth aside. It is really interesting to me that the women are the ones who have really taken a stand against what is going on in the world and the men have not taken a greater position.

No comments:

Post a Comment