Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 14- Reading Response

The topic of today’s class was women and globalization.  I found this a really interesting topic because I never thought of it as a women’s studies issue.  However, after doing the reading I realize that it most definitely is. 

I really liked the essay that we read for the class.  She brought up a great point about how as a culture we consider ourselves Americans but we do not consider immigrants to be 100% Americans.  I never really thought about it in that way, but I guess I am just as guilty as everyone else of doing this.  I have found myself asking immigrants how they are liking the US, even when the people I am asking have been here for a very long time.  I thought it was interesting that the author talked about how she has needs a group to feel apart of her society.  She brought up a great point about how she would never not be a runner if everyone else decided not to run, but how she feels lost with out other Asian-Americans.  It was a really interesting way of looking at things, I guess in a way I am very proud of my culture and I like to be around other people who are of Lebanese or Spanish descent.  When I find out that someone has a similar background to mine I am ecstatic.  Back at home one of my best friends is of Lebanese and Spanish decent, just like I am, and we are just naturally more comfortable with each other.  The piece actually turned out to me very introspective for me. 

The article about The Body Shop along with the movie was really interesting.  The thing that I liked about the article was how the company doesn’t really do that much advertising.  They don’t adhere to the “world with out boundaries” slogan for selling their products.  I thought that the article was really interesting because I never really realized how much advertising influences us.  Also, The way in which the third world is “perceived” in the mainstream is really interesting.  The video really showed some interesting examples of ethnic fashion.  The whole idea of the text as well as the video was really interesting to me.  The idea of the world without borders is super interesting but I don’t think that the way it is being used to sell things is good.  Women are subjected more to this and I think that it is really interesting how they have been targeted in the campaigns. 

Globalization is both a great and a devastating force, it has lead to great strides in the way of women but has also been a great downfall for others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment